Teaching Schools diagnose and provide high-quality support to schools in need, by quickly matching supply and demand including identification of individuals with appropriate skills to provide high-quality support.
Teaching Schools lead the co-ordination of school-to-school support, including brokerage of national leaders of education (NLE), specialist leaders of education (SLE) and national leaders of governance (NLG) when required. This usually involves working with a school or academy in challenging circumstances to bring about improvement.
This includes designating and brokering specialist leaders of education.
Teaching Schools need to identify priorities in your area and support under-performing schools and academies. Regional Schools Commissioners, Teaching Schools Council, local authorities, dioceses and multi-academy trusts may also work with you to support schools in need of improvement.
Teaching Schools will ensure that the best leaders are working to improve the quality of teaching and leadership where it is most needed.
This includes deciding how to use the services of system leaders to provide support to other schools, such as:
- middle and senior leaders working as specialist leaders of education
- headteachers working as local and national leaders of education
- chairs of governors working as national leaders of governance
Teaching Schools will recruit and manage the placements of SLEs. This involves:
- identifying subject area priorities within your alliance
- setting up a panel of headteachers to assess applicants
- using eligibility criteria to select SLEs
- ensuring that the recruitment process is fair
- notifying us of outcomes and confirming them to applicants
- dealing with applicant appeals
- organising training for SLEs
- negotiating SLE work within your alliance
- ensuring that specialist leaders of education are providing high-quality support that is having a positive impact
If you would like to become a Specialist Leader of Education with the Hillmorton Teaching School Alliance you can find the application below